Saturday, January 22, 2011

I think he wants chicken for dinner....or breakfast!

So I go out one morning to let the chickens out and just happen to notice this guy sitting on the handrail by my kitchen door.  I had no idea what he was so I went inside to get a better look from the dining room. 

Then I got sneaky and peeked out the kitchen window to get an even better look.  There was no sneaking up on him though, he's a predator!  I think he was waiting for Sassy, my little biting chicken.  Just to be safe I didn't let the chickens out.  He watched as I helped newly 3 legged Otis go out.  When I got too close he swooped off into a nearby tree and continued to keep his eye on us. 


I've made the homemade pizza's a few more times and figured I'd post the recipe here for those interested.  I use my bread machine to make the dough, add them in the order listed here.

Pizza Dough
1 1/2 C Water
1 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 1/2 Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Salt
3 3/4 Bread Flour *
1 1/2 tsp Active Dry Yeast

*Add 1 Tbsp of Vital Wheat Gluten per cup of flour.  I mill my flour from hard white wheat berries.  If you are using pre-milled flour, I'd look for whole wheat white flour, I like King Arthur.

1.  Measure all ingredients except yeast into the bread machine baking pan in the order listed.  Tap the baking pan to level ingredients.  Make a depression in middle of flour and sprinkle in  the yeast, making sure it doesn't touch any liquids.

2.  Insert baking pan into bread machine and select DOUGH setting, press START.  This takes 2 hours in my machine.

3.  When done, remove dough from machine.  Preheat oven to 400.

4.  Make the dough into the shape you want, I have cut into 5 pieces so we each have our own pizza.  Lightly brush with Olive Oil, cover and let sit for 15 minutes (oops, I have never done this!).

5.  Spoon pizza sauce (BELOW) onto crust and add any toppings.

6.  Bake 20 - 25 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and crust is golden brown.

Makes (2) 12 inch pizzas.

Easy Pizza Sauce

1 15oz can of Diced Tomatoes
1 6oz can Tomato Paste
1 Tbsp ground Oregano
1 1/2 tsp minced Garlic (I use fresh)
1 tsp ground Paprika
1/2 Tbsp ground Basil
1/2 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Onion Powder

I put it all in my blender and it's ready in 15 seconds.  If I have extra I freeze it for next time!

And here is one last picture, Otis doing his very best pathetic look, so you feel really bad for putting the 'cone of shame' on him!
Thanks for coming back by!

3 comments:

scrapper al said...

Thanks for the recipes. Poor Otis.

Cheri Pryor said...

Awwww! Did he get lots of love and attention? Poor baby!! That pizza sounds delightful...but I don't own a bread machine. There is a reason for that. lol!

Amy said...

Otis looks like he's doing great. Glad you got rid of some of your stress, I mean animals. :) Hope that gives you much relief. Da'lin I love ya, but give me park avenue! :) Hope to see ya real soon.